Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Jewellery Organizer with a Spicy Past


When I found this old spice rack (circa 1970s?) it was like a one-legged pirate, with a missing drawer and gate-like wood doors and rusty upholstery tacks. I carried it all over the thrift store with me, not absolutely sure that I really wanted it. I wasn't even sure what I was going to do with it. I even thought I would remove the doors altogether and the lone drawer.


When I got it home and posted pictures of it, comments were surprisingly favourable and it was suggested that the doors should stay and that the missing drawer didn't matter. It was cool, pirate-like and all. So I got to work, or rather, my hubby did. Being the good helper that he is, he removed the tacks then sanded this piece all down for me. I then took it to my workshop. I primed it and painted the entire thing a nice glossy raspberry colour.


A quick trip to the fabric store was in order. I bought a quarter meter of a light green and cream print with delicate filigree butterflies. I wanted something that wasn't going to compete against the jewellery that would be hanging inside. So like the other re-lined boxes I've done, I set to work cutting cardboard, glueing it to fabric then glueing it all into place inside.


I decided to line the opening that had the missing drawer. Plus I lined the very top shelf due to a paint mishap. (I re-sprayed a coat after an hour and before 24 hours. It immediately bubbled and wrinkled on me so I scraped that paint off and decided right then that I would just upholster that surface. It was a plan that worked out well in the end.)


I've since added a length of chain strung across the two large openings, just right for hanging earrings from. I didn't take a picture of it yet with the chains. So from a rickety old pirate to a classy butterfly bedecked lady, I think this was a successful transformation. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. ooh, I love the color! Amazing what paint can do, isn't it?! Any matey would be proud to display their jewelry in there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sheila! I picture everything with a new coat of paint now. You really need to see items past their marred surface to see their potential.

    ReplyDelete